Moved Mountains

Banner - Mt Trio, Stirling Range National Park, Western Australia - (c) 2007

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Church - The New Exodus II?

Two correspondents to the post Church - The New Exodus? have taken up the topic on their blogs with some interesting insights.

Check out Jamie's post here, and Shannon's here. Shannon has compiled an interesting list in response - I particularly like his last 3 points, which are:

8. Let People work through their problems! There is a great deal of hurt in peoples lives and most of the time it isn't resolved quickly. People need time and room to wrestle with issues and figure out who they are in God. It's our responsibility to just be there when they need us.

9. No Perfect People Allowed! If you think you're perfect, you won't fit in here. If you think you're perfect, you won't like us.


10. Accommodate the imperfect! Go out of your way to welcome and develop relationship with messy people. A messy church is the greatest church!
I think this is an extremely pertinent topic and one that we'll keep coming back to in the future I am sure. While I don't want to seem like I am always bagging the church (something I have been known to do from time to time) I do think that we have to face the facts and ask the questions that need to be asked if we are going to move forward.

About 7 years ago I read a book that really grabbed my attention. It was called Exit Interviews: Revealing stories of why people are leaving the church. I think (even though I read it such a long time ago) that I can recommend it to those interested in this subject.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I, too, particulary like #8. I recently had a very personal experience with this. It seems like we are uncomfortable, in the church, with people that are hurting. Lean Into It

BTW, I'm going to get the book :)

The Creature said...

Jamie - I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the book! I hope my memory has held up and it is as good as I remember it ... :)